Nicholas WINDEAT, (seaman?)
Nicholas is a fairly rare Christian name among WINDEATTs. We have a few references and do not know how they relate.
- Nicholas WINGATE of Ugborough made his mark on the Devon and Exeter
Oath Rolls, 1723.
Source: QS17/2/1/12b Oaths sworn at The Chiphouse Chamber als. the Shambles Chamber, Modbury, 31 August 1723 before James Bulteel, Thomas Coplestone and John Fowell esqs
Link to page from The Friends of Devon's Archives.
- (a) "Nicholas Windeat; Remarks: Deserted 12 November 1797 at
Yarmouth. Ship's name: HMS Agamemnon; Pay book number: SB 487;
Rank: Ordinary Seaman; Relation: Wife Elizabeth; When Alloted: 1797".
(b) "Nicholas Windeat; Ship's name: HMS Blanche; Pay book number: SB 101; Rank: Able Seaman; Relation: Wife; When Alloted: 1801"
Both these quotes are from the National Archives, Allotment registers from the Naval Records - Reference ADM27/1 . mean that when Nicholas was serving on the HMS Agamemnon and later on the HMS Blanche he asked that his wife, Elizabeth, be sent some or all of his pay These early records are from PLYMOUTH. However, the first one says he deserted in 1797 so I am not sure what that means with regard to the second entry. Perhaps he was soon caught, punished and pardoned?
- Nicholas WINGETT married Elizabeth CUMMING on 18/03/1790 at St. Marychurch. This is possibly the same Nicholas as the one above who deserted his ship seven years later
- Nicholas WINDEAT married in the Medway district in the September quarter
of 1838 (GRO REF: 5 385).
He is possibly the same Nicholas as previously but more likely they are a father and son. Medway would be the registry area for the other large naval base at Chatham. This is almost certainly the same Nicholas as below:
- Nicholas WINDEAT, Born NEWTON ABBOT, Devonshire, Served in Royal Sappers and Miners, Discharged aged 40, Covering dates 1825-1846, Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents, Reference WO 97/1152. This would make his birthdate c. 1806. This date is consistent with him being the son of the first Nicholas mentioned above.
- Nicholas CRISPIN WINDEATT was baptised on 23 December 1832 in Modbury, Devon to a John and Mary WINDEATT according to the IGI Family Search. There is also a note to the effect that he died on the following 3rd February. Unless Mary (née CRISPIN) gave her son her own father's name then it is likely that this family (on the Ugborough Tree) are related to the other Nicholas references above.
- A Nicholas WINGET is recorded in the 1841 census living in Church Street, Dodbrook and working as an Agricultural Labourer. His age is given as 15 years but, as age was rounded down in this census, this could mean anything up to 19 so the date of birth could be anything from 1821 to 1826. He is living in a family headed by William, a mason, and Jane. In the 1851 census, he is recorded as Nicholas WINDIETT, aged 26, which would make his probable birth date 1824 (or 5). He is living with his wife Elizabeth, aged 27, at Lower Coombe, South Pool, Kingsbridge. Her birth place is given as South Pool and his as Dodbrook. His occupation now is a Wool Carder and he is recorded as a Visitor (Head). He also appears again in the 1861 census, as Nicholas WINGETT, aged 36 . He is living in Loddiswell, Totnes, with a wife, Elizabeth, born in South Pool, a son, Samuel KELLAND, aged 10 and also born in South Pool, and a daughter, Alana Jane, aged 5 and born in Loddiswell. He is now a Farm Labourer and his birthplace is given as Dodbrooke. According to FREE BMD, Nicholas WINGETT is also recorded as marrying in the March quarter of 1851 in the Totnes register district [9 592]. Possible wives are Ann Wakeham KELLOND or Elizabeth LUSCOMBE.
If you know any more about any of these people, please get in touch and leave a message on the Message Board.